Tuesday 9 August 2011

Happee Nashuner Day, peeper! *waves flag*

(Translation: Happy National Day, everybody! *waves flag*)

Actually, I usually just celebrate by watching the National Day parade on Youtube afterwards, so the 9th August isn't terribly eventful for me away from home. Don't get me wrong, I am proud of being Singaporean, I love the country and all it means to me...family, friends, my childhood, the food...AHHHH, Foooood.....*misty-eyed* but I just don't have anyone here to celebrate with! I know, I know.... *violins wailing in the background*

It really doesn't bother me that much, but since 'apathy' has become a new buzzword after the General Elections earlier this year, I must prove that I am not politically apathetic! *stamps feet* Well, I've cooked my own Hokkien prawn mee from scratch. I cooked the recipe from scratch TWICE. It shows that my actions are in keeping with the hawkers out there who do this everyday. The heartlanders...See? How well I know my people...*sweeping hand gesture*

Aaaaanyway, punniness aside, I've also eaten said Hokkien mee for about 4 days in a row! Now if that isn't patriotic fervour, I don't know what is. What to do? When one boils a stinky pig's trotter to make stock for a recipe meant for 10, but isn't cooking for a family gathering *sniff* that means one must eat the same dish ten times lor! Although with some help from the Brit, it means I only need to have it FIVE times! He even helped me clean the pig's trotter 'cos I was too grossed out...I'm a 3rd generation Singaporean lah, we're a bit soft when it comes to eggs and legs but the Pandy's a science geek so he doesn't mind. Even gleefully pointed out to me that there were hairs in-between the toenails. Eeyer! (Translation: Yuck!)

Here's a picture for fun. Of the Hokkien mee lah, not pigs' trotters...there are chewren around, y'know? Wait they cry if they see what's happened to poor Wilbur! Haiyah.
(Translation: Of the Hokkien noodles, idiot, not pigs' trotters...there are children around, y'know? What if they cry when they see what's happened to poor Wilbur! Humph.)

No no no, there's no hor fun here, plenty of mee and bee hoon, yes.

That's an old picture actually, I used kitchi (Malay: kechil = small) prawns this time round so it looks less droolworthy. So, see? Buy something from Sock 'N' Soul HQ and then I can afford big prawns next time! More to the point... I seem to be digressing more and more with every post. Well, y'know what they say: You can take food away from the Singaporean, but you can't take the Singaporean away from food *beam* My sis even says I've got something called a food grin! Usually it's when I've just arrived home and can't decide what to eat, so order about 3 dishes at once and polish them all off *food grin* The last time this happened Pandy looked a bit anxious, but not to worry! Us Asians have good skin elasticity! Comes from all that pigs' trotter collagen. Plus the portion sizes in Singapore are a third of those in English pubs anyway.

So just because I don't do much to celebrate National Day doesn't mean nobody else should, and I thought I'd help you celebrate! WHOO HOO!!! Let's booogie! *waves flag vigorously*

Sock 'N' Soul have come out for the party too!
Red and white, it's outta sight!


LET'S CELEBRATE!


If you make a purchase at £15 (about $30) or greater from my Folksy store (sorry ah, Etsy one not updated yet) from now till the end of the month,  delivery will be free to anywhere in the world that allows Darn Stuff (and everything else I make) freedom of entry.


The rules: 
(us Singaporeans like to be told what to do, the ones that don't, move away. Haha! Joking lah, kay?)
  • In the spirit of Singapore's open and multi-ethnic society, this offer is open to everyone. Lelong, lelong! (Translation: Come buy, come buy!)
  • One free delivery per customer, per address please, don't kiasu ah! Wait I pok kai then how? (Translation: Don't loot me! What if I go bust like London retailers?)
  • Valid for items listed on Folksy only. If I run out of stock, please contact me anyway. (No lah! I won't send you the pig's trotter stock. Donch worrit!) The order is eligible if placed before the end of the month. Unless I really run out of sock, then bor pian. Sorry! (Translation: No, I won't send you the pig's trotter stock. Don't worry!....Unless I really run out of sock, then I can't make more. Sorry!)
So come and look see look see, ok? I've got new Smelly Babies in Melon & Passionfruit or Champagne & Roses fravoured scents. They got smelly balls lah, that's why they smell. Summore got Smelly Bunnies. They have smelly balls too. As usual, they come in a variety of features and embellishments, so click on each item to see the options.

WHEEEEE!!! Having fun on the spinning teacups...
Yah, I know. I have a lot of smelly things in stock right now. If you lay them in your drawer (the wooden pull-out kind, or underwear kind, or bofe) they'll make your melons and passion fruit smell velly nice. Maybe help to increase the low birth rate. Heehee, us Singaporeans like corny joke.

I'm also making some whales. Not smelly ones lah, what would they smell of...sperm? That'd be so wrong. Then, technically speaking, my SBs should smell of poo! Or vomit. Althoooough sperm bal...NO. No smelly whales.

There'll also be some little ducks coming soon and lots of other Darn Stuff, so drop by and have a lookie, okie? See you there!

Dudes with attitood

Bzzzzzzbzzzzbzz *tuning back to Radio 4 from Singlish FM in time for next post* xxx

2 comments:

Yi Lin said...

Stock, socks, S'pore... this post is absolutely CRAZY!!!! You have been eating Hokkien Mee for TOO long! No Singaporean eats the same hawker dish FOUR days in a row (probably FIVE by now)... we are used to having too much choice to be eating the same dish every day!

And that's a terribly old photo of the SG skyline by the way. Tsk! Neber see how impressive it was during the parade telecast meh? I see it every day... still damn impressed ah!

Happy National Day!

Tracy Su said...

Yah, but mine wasn't a hawker dish! Poor me had to make it myself, 'kay? And actually I could eat bah chor mee all day long, there's variety what. Can choose mee pok, yew mee, bee tai mak, kway teow, etc etc. Hehe. Love the stuff! Ah sorry about the skyline, I shall do some touristy photography next time I visit...that's what you hafta settle for when you use the internet...what can I say. Busy cooking what, sorry ah!

Happy National Day, chick!