Wednesday 24 August 2011

A Fairbridge for all weathers

I'd been plugging the Makeshift Arts and Crafts Market at Fairbridge on Facebook for a couple of weeks now, and last Saturday was when it all happened! The fair itself was a wee bit on the quiet side, but I'm still delighted with the outcome. Although Birmingham city centre is only seconds away by car and a few minutes on foot, I guess it's difficult to convince visitors to go out of their way, past car dealerships and industrial areas to find us. We also learnt, closer to the time, that other events were also happening in the area, so there was a bit of a clash.

Well, *shrugs* certainly can't moan about Boremingham!

In spite of the quiet turnout and a bit of rain, we had a really good time! Fairbridge offered both in-or-outdoor space to stallholders for free, all we had to do was donate a tombola prize. Entry for visitors was free too so I hope the Centre made lots of money through the raffle, cake sales and other activities for their generous support of local designer-makers, musicians and small businesses.


Selling cakes galore, finger puppets, face-painting, balloons and tombola raffles all for a great cause!

Supporting local musicians...it did rain at one point, so the wellyboot backdrop is v. apt!

Do you know the Madras man...*hums*

I got a chance to catch up with my crafty chums, meet new ones, make some money, while Andy had the pleasure of eating lots of cake and getting plenty of female attention (since he was in the overwhelming minority!) There was plenty of time to wander round and chat to other stall holders, so I thought I'd take pics for a little feature on local artists and designer-makers while I was at it.

Me first, I'm a local designer-maker too! It's been a while since I ran a stall. This time I thought I'd lighten things up with a yellow backdrop. Anyone with more tips or suggestions, please let me know!

Now all my work shows up against it, with hidden storage under my shelves too! *beam*

First, let's start with Emma O'Brien, Coventry's resident naughty-monster maker, who runs The Lock Gallery and monthly Cov Art Fair at the Canal Basin in Coventry and was the first arty-fartist I met in the area. Emma also works at the Mead Gallery, Warwick Arts Centre, where she's helped start the hugely popular Knit, Stitch and Crochet Club of which I'm a big fan. More on that in a later post, but what I want to know is where she finds the time to do all this! Have you got more hours in the day than the rest of us, Emma O. B.?


They come in all shapes and sizes for people of all shapes and sizes!

She's also started making zombies. They appeal to my visceral sense of humour so much, I HAD to have one! This one has wool guts spilling out, the one I bought had a bone leg (don't misread that!) and wool blood gushing out of the wound. What macabre fun!

Bleeeeurgh!

There were a couple of gems, such as Alison Perry's luxuriously presented jewellery stand.

Dramatic and gorgeous

Yup, this one is All About the Beads. What I love most about Ali is how she gives every piece incorporating gemstones and lampwork glass beads a title, just like a rare masterpiece! Names like 'Sheherezade', 'Angels on Bare Skin' and 'The Woman Clothed with the Sun' describe her creations perfectly and make you ache to wear them. Even a non-jewellery person like myself...

Scrummy boiled sweet delights! But don't take my word for it, go see for yourself!

And it's a craft fair, so beads and, yup, you got it, buttons are out in profusion. Julia Gandy, who runs the Transport Museum Craft Fairs,  also makes unique and elaborate Hole-Button Jewellery. Her chunky necklaces and fascinators would make a great statement at a wedding...without upstaging the bride, of course...uh, unless you ARE the bride, then it doesn't matter!

Fascinating array of colours

Since we're onto wearables, these girls are part of a collective Sent 2 Coventry, together with Emma Gluyas, owner of Arty-Em Gear. I forgot to take any pics of her knitwear, remade vintage and upcycled clothing (Doh!) but you can still check her out with the link above.

Gemma Hall of Ragamuffins Vintage probably doesn't think she's an artist (I love that name!) but her display was pepped up with lovely bunting and fabric hearts for that touch of retro chic so she certainly has an eye for detail. Plus, since she shared the room and her copious hangers with us absent-minded sods who packed a clothes rail without hangers, she definitely counts as fam! Do visit her website when it's up, the garments she personally selects are truly special.

Looks the part too!

Now then... I've covered cuddly companions for your soul, jewellery to dress up your outfits, clothes to, uh, stop you going out naked, so it must be time for furnishings and accessories to make your house a home!

How about Karmen's Kreations for her calming and spiritual oil-on-canvas paintings, prints and cards? She also sells wonderful handmade throws and duck feather cushions at reasonable prices. I remember thinking how beautiful her stand looked, with embroidered table coverings, flowers and fairy lights, while I was tagging Darn Stuff during set-up. I couldn't believe it when she told us it was her first time at a fair! *pheweeeeet!* Let's give this talented lady the support she deserves!

Charming Carmen also kept me well-plied with compliments about my work throughout the day *preen* 

And now I must admit I've kept the best till last. Mel Smith's happy go loopy stand was my absolute favourite, and if you love vintage and shabby chic, I know you'll see why!


It's all in the details, every single teeny tiny one of them.
Look at all THIS!

Soya wax teacup candles, loopy storybook bunting and all kinds of wonderful treats...

Mel particularly recommends her SOS jars for students first leaving home. They contain every fiddly thing you might need but almost certainly won't have...like Blu-tack! All so beautifully presented.

Having subjected poor Andy to what was effectively one giant hen party on a Saturday afternoon (giant party, NOT giant hens!) this had to be the icing on the cupcake...look what he won from the tombola! *falls off the chair howling with laughter*

His best macho look, considering the floral lace bag and bunny poking out.

Bless his cotton socks...

Apparently the Pandy'd hoped to win it 'cos he thought it'd be just my thing. Awwwww... it certainly matches my outfit!


'Happy birthday!', he said, even though my birthday's in April...
I should've posed with my new boney-legged zombie!

4 comments:

Han-Banan said...

Love your blog! Even though I couldn't make it to the fair, I feel like I have had a personal guided tour! Hope you made yourself a few pennies. xxx

Unknown said...

a lovely blog about a lovely event. thanks for the mention....it's made my 'happy go loopy' day!

emma o'brien said...

yay! super fun day, with super fun people xx

Tracy Su said...

Thank you, kind ladies! Hopefully you'll be able to make on sometime, Han Banan...for Christmas shopping? I'm doing a couple of fairs around that time, so will put the dates out soon!

Mel: it was inspiring meeting you after so long! See you about town very soon, I hope!

Emma: See you at Knit Club on Thursday! Can't wait!!!

xxx